Saturday, March 11, 2017

Which is greater? The gold, or the temple that sanctifieth the gold?

This week we were told to read in Matthew. I was especially struck by Matthew 23:17 which says the following:

 17 Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gold, or the temple that sanctifieth the gold?

I gave this verse a lot of thought as I think it pertains to me especially at this time in my life. This week was crazy because I heard back from a job that I applied for a couple of months ago. I found out that I got the job, which is great! I'll be making a great deal more money than any other point in my life, which will allow me to provide for my family. I'm extremely blessed to get this job right out of college.

So, when I read the above referenced verse, it hit me quite hard. I need to be very careful to not let financial gain take too much of a place in my life. God should always be first, followed by everything else. This is the pattern due to the fact that because of God, we are able to have everything else. Without God, there is no temple, no gold, no great post-college jobs.

I think the formula for keeping our priorities in life in check isn't that complex. Love God, Love our neighbor, and constantly be improving. I'm grateful for this next chapter of my life, and also excited for all the good that I can do with increased financial prosperity.

No comments:

Post a Comment