Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Conflicting Social Roles

To work, or not to work, that is the question.

As I awakened today, a startling pain was found deep in my stomach. Today was supposed to be a day that I would go to my job, work, and return home to do more work. The social role of being a full-time college student, and a full time employee is fantastically difficult. I needed to attend my job this morning to earn money, on the other hand, I really could use a day at home to catch up on my studies and health. Something eventually has to give in this scenario.

The decision was made to stay home, after much deliberation. Today will be a day where my social role as a student, and currently unhealthy human being, won the fight. Today will be a day to recover from a crippling stomach virus, and study for exams. No money will be made today, and I must say this bothers me. As a man born and raised on the American dream, it is my duty and privilege to make some sort of income each and every day. Today will not be one of those days.

Understanding that the adage, "if you don't have your health, you don't have anything" is correct, my decision has been made.

No comments:

Post a Comment